For the Newlyweds: Starburst Mirror from Homesav.com, $99
Normally retailing for $240, this mirror is a steal for just $99, available on Homesav.com from today until Wednesday. Not familiar with Homesav.com yet? It’s an online shopping destination, offering the latest designer furniture and décor at up to 70 per cent off. The progressive site is the first of its kind in Canada, offering an exciting approach to home decorating.
For the Gourmet Chef with an Apartment-Sized Kitchen: Frigidaire Portable Induction Cooktop, $199
Even the most tolerant chefs can get frustrated with the tiny, ancient stovetops that come with most rental apartments. To help, Frigidaire has come out with this nifty cooktop to bring food to the next level. Aspiring Jamie Olivers can melt chocolate and boil water, and save on utilities at the same time – the cooktop is 70 per cent more efficient than gas and 20 per cent more efficient than electric. Plus, the surface is easier to clean, since heat transfers right to the cookware. Available across Canada at Sears, The Brick, Leon’s, The Bay, and additional select major appliance locations.
For your Mini-Me: Comfy Cardi from Mini Mioche, $42 (infant) and $46 (child)
Mini Mioche makes adorable, organic clothing for infants and children, from newborn to six years. Its Canadian-made line is super soft and available in surprisingly hard-to-find neutrals, like black, grey, olive and natural. Not only will your li’l ones look good, but you can feel good too, since Mini Mioche strives to reduce its carbon footprint as much as possible, with reuseable dyes, water-based or discharge graphic prints, and 100-per-cent recycled materials for everything from hang tags to catalogs. What’s not to love? P.S. Mini Mioche will also open its first bricks and mortar store at 795 Queen West in early December.
Need a recipe? Try Martha Stewart’s Banana-Walnut Loaf. Serves 10.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups mashed medium very ripe bananas (about 6)
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch (2-quart) loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of banana; mix until just combined. Stir in walnuts, if desired, by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then deliver to your loved one!
- Happy Shopping!